Subject: Re: [Leica] Saving Leica (from Solms)
From: Stephen <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 20:24:00 -0800

Eric Welch wrote:

> At 09:05 PM 2/15/98 -0800, you wrote:
>
> >The point is to sell product, and I doubt if anyone has more camera
> >bodies out there than Canon. .  Leica would have to design nothing,
> just
> >basically copy EOS designs under license.   If Tamron and Sigma can
> >mount their manual glass in EOS mount, Leica should be able to.  You
> do
> >have a point though, it could prove too much for Solms.
>
> Right. The company that makes the best lenses, and the most precise
> mechanisms in the business can't handle it. And pigs fly.

Eric, relax a bit and you'll  be able to recognize sarcasm more
quickly.    Of course they can do it, but they aren't doing it and are
missing a huge market.  My original  post was for MANUAL FOCUS  Leica
glass, not AF.  Presumably the license fees would be less and Leica
could turn them out faster and easier.  If someone loves Leica glass, it
makes little difference if it's not AF.   You R8 guys are proving that.

>  >Obviously Leica is well known amongst experienced photogs.  But most
>
> >photogs aren't experienced.     Something is wrong with the picture
> when
> >both Canon and Nikon are probably selling more cameras in a week than
>
> >Leica does in a year.
>
> And Chevrolet sells more cars in a day than Porsche does in a year.
> Which
> is the better car?

at least the Chevrolet driver knows about the Porsche.  Leica is not as
well known as it should be, and a campaign built around it's historical
importance and ties to the greats of photo-journalism would only help
it.     The next time you see someone buying a $10 disposable camera
(whose sales undoubtedly exceed Leica's) ask them what a Leica is.  With
a well thought out ad campaign, the rank beginner would be given
something to aspire to, as well as giving all photographers something to
be proud of.

>  snip

> Okay, so I exaggerate way too much. Let's get a grip. The evil Gnomes
> haven't invaded Solms. The size of the repair crew in Leica's repair
> shops
> are probably optimized for the overall benefit of the business no
> doubt.
> Name one camera company that is faster. None.

Eric, if you are going to judge Leica's repairs by Nikons or Canon's,
shouldn't Leica charge Nikon or Canon prices?  Your viewpoint is
illogical on that basis.  If they are the best, they should be held
accountable and really deliver the best.  If they are not, they should
lower their prices and be like everyone else.

It's wonderful that Leica has customers like you who have such loyal,
unwavering viewpoints of how great Leica and Leica management is.  You
help keep them in business.  That's good.

I started the "Saving Leica" thread by suggesting LUG members could
make  suggestions which could improve Leica.  Instead of spending time
and energy saying someone else's idea's on the subject are no good, why
not come up with something better?

How would you help improve Leica's sales and profitability?

Stephen Gandy