Subject: [Leica] R series entry level
From: Robert Rose <RJR@usip.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 13:39:32 -0800

David,

You need to tell us how important TTL flash will be to you.  The R4 does not have, while 5, 7, 8 do.

I have an M system, but there are times you need to really use flash (honest), and there are times you either can't change your position and want to change to different focal lengths rapidly (zoom!) or want longer focal lengths (without that clumsy Viso) or want easy macro (beyond the DR!)  If any of that sounds familiar, then an R is in your future.

I bought an R4sP, and it does have the highest price/value ratio going today, and probably for that reason can be resold if you want.  It already has had "dibs" from my older daughter, when I buy my R8, however.

I also take pictures with a camera mounted on a telescope.  Curiously, although the R4sP has no mirror lock up, its B setting has the mirror pop up in a damped way such that the total vibration from the mirror pop up and shutter opening is comparable to the "standard" Olympus OM-1 that is ubiquitous for telescope use!

I have shot with the 90 Summicron, and got beautiful results, which are in the same league as my 90 Summicron-M.  It was only 2 cam, however, and I can tell you that is a pain.  Go for a three cam.

I just bought the f4 35-70 zoom, and I really like that combination.  It has the ROM, so when I get an R8 it can control an SCA flash head.

Right now there is a $250 rebate on new lenses under 100mm, and $500 on those 100mm and over.  That is a very good deal.  Also, the 180mm 3.4 APO and 2.8 are on sale, because there is a new 2.8 APO coming out.

Bob
<<I was thinking about giving the R series a try, but I'm not sure which
model to choose as an experiment.

*IF* I like it, I think I'd be heading off towards a pair of R6.2 or R8
bodies. If this is the final destination, how many cams should my lenses
have? What's the difference between the R6 and the R6.2 and what do R6
bodies sell for s/h?>>