Subject: Re: [Leica] Beginning Leica Q's
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 21:57:47 -0600

At 01:48 PM 2/15/98 -0500, you wrote:

>Lenses are where I'm most confused.  As nice as it would be to own a 75
>f1.4, 50 f1, and 35 f1.4 APO...I just can't afford it yet.  Right now I'll

First of all, a short lesson in Leica names. (There is no APO anything
under 100mm. You mean ASPH - Aspheric).

f/1.0 - Noctilux
f/1.4 - Summilux
f/2.0 - Summicron
f/2.8 - Elmarit (and older ones I've never figured out)
f/4.0 - Elmar

You need not rely on previous experience with other camera lines to decide
how a 20 year old Leica might perform. Leica lenses that are 20 years old
might be worn out if used by a pro, but more likely if it's rated EX+, EX++
or some variation of mint, it will work just fine for you. And as far as
performance goes, any Leica lens in the last 20 years will work just fine
for you until you can afford one of the super duper ASPH lenses, or
superspeed lenses. Regardless of age or stats, Leica lenses are user lenses
from wide open to the smallest aperture, they work as they should.

For available light, nothing matches a Leica M.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

My Karma ran over my Dogma..