Subject: Re: Thoughts for Solms on a new M7 [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V2 #160
From: dannyg1 <dannyg1@IDT.NET>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 00:29:52 +0000

>  I wonder how this conversation would go if they used an M for 90% of their
> 35mm shooting as I do. Or if ... the R line hadn't seen any advancements
> since 1984.
>
> It would be a different thread because they'd all be shooting Canon or Nikon.

Tom,

The last time this thread made the rounds, the point was made that what was wanted
(in an M6E, at least for me) was R3 level automation in an R8 world. I'm sure that
M. Johnston's M7 prediction would sell to many M users, as you've said. It would
IMO not sell because it was the answer M users were looking for; it would sell
because it would be what Leica offers M users.

I agree with the naysayers that there's more to lose if the camera were to turn into a
whiz-bang gadget, like the Contax G (which more people would like if it wasn't so
damn 'space-agistic') than would be gained. The M is a camera for concentration,
thought and patience; I think that's what's 'to' it, that so inspires its devoted
loyalists.

For me, an M6-ified CL would inspire more devotion than the M6 currently does,
but I've never been dumbstruck by the M6 the way most users are. The CL though, I
love like few other cameras (and the M5 is too large).

In the end, there's more than a little room to satisfy everyone. So long as Leica leaves
the G2 concept to Contax and stays true to its best followers.

Regards,
Danny Gonzalez