Subject: Re: [Leica] 50mm Noctilux-M f1
From: "usinet.srlond" <srlondon@ibm.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 02:40:24 -0500

Ted wrote:

>I use mine as often as I can wide open! It makes the pictures look
>completely different, whether B&W or colour. It sure gives me an edge over
>the "flash and grab" photographers! Not always, but a whole bunch of the
>time!

I couldn't agree with you more on this one.  Leica lenses are made to
have top performance wide open, so why not take advantage of it?  Most
people are stunned when they see a really shallow depth of field image
with a sharp and clear point of focus with a smooth, blurry background.
I suppose that it is the f/5.6-f/9 point and shoot zoom lens which has
made people accustomed to deep DOF.   Even top quality zooms like the
Canon L lenses top out at f/2.8.  Shooting at f/1.4 (I have not yet been
blessed with a Noctilux) really makes your photos stand out on the light
table when compared with shots from large maximum aperture lenses.