Subject: [Leica] OFF TOPIC: Advice on Computer
From: Norman_Milks@pribilofs.k12.ak.us (Norman Milks)
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 98 19:00:05 -0800

Hello Luggers,

I recently purchased a computer for the purpose of getting into the "digital
darkroom", as well as general use.  I am having second thoughts about my
purchase and I would like to hear what those of you who are digitally
manipulating Leica images, think.  The computer I bought was a DELL, 300MHz,
Pentium II, 64MB RAM, 8.4GB HD, 8MG Video Board.  The monitor is a 1200HS,
17.9" Viewable Image, DP .26, and a max reolution of 1600x1200.   The printer
is an Epson Photo Stylus.  These numbers do not mean a whole lot to me, but
I'm thinking they probably do to many of you.

I have noticed that most (it seems, anyway) of you are MACnuts.  I am
wondering if this computer will produce the results (when I get the full Photo
Adobe Photo program) that are comparable to those of the Macs?

I received the computer a month ago, had a problem getting it running, and had
to wait 3 weeks and 2 days for a restoration CD to arrive.  It has just
arrived and although the computer seems to be working fine now, I haven't had
a chance to play/experiment with it.  DELL has a 30 day money back policy
which will expire after Friday, and I have had some recent thoughts about
returning it.   As I am a computing novice, I do not necessarily think that I
need the very best computer equipment available for digital photography.  And
it took a month for this computer to arrive to this remote outpost (after it
had been shipped), so I am reluctant to send it back.  But a friend of mine
has been insisting that I have chosen the wrong paltform (PC) to play with
digital images.  And I read a thread yesterday that said something to the
effect that the PowerMac G3s eat Pentium chips for breakfast!

I don't want to wake up Saturday morning wishing that I had sent my box of
Pentium chips back to the factory.  Any advice that can be offered by Friday
would sure be appreciated by this 'ole lugger.  TIA!

Norman
BERINGIA

- --

         Sent via ExpressNet/SMTP(tm), Internet Gateway of the Gods!
               ExpressNet/SMTP (c)1994-95 Delphic Software, Inc.