Subject: Re[2]: Thoughts for Solms on a new M7 [Leica] Leica-Users Li
From: Peterson_Art@hq.navsea.navy.mil
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 17:04:25 -0500

     If there were to be an M7, I must offer a disagreement with Jim's and
     Howard's suggested improvements.  To me, the M6 is very nearly perfect
     for its purposes as it is (I don't mean the M6HM either).  The ONLY
     changes I'd suggest would be the incorporation of a shutter speed dial
     coaxial with the shutter button and overhanging the front edge of the
     camera, as on the M5---that camera's one point of design superiority
     over other M cameras---and the provision of a silvered metering "dot"
     not only on the curtain that appears when the shutter is wound, but
     also on the one when it's not wound (so metering would be possible in
     advance of winding the shutter).

     But I agree with Erwin's statement that "One might infer from all the
     questions now...about an M7...that our curiosity for new products can
     never be satisfied," and his pointing out how "Cartier-Bresson [could]
     be satisfied with only three lenses and one body."  As I said, I find
     the M6 virtually perfect as it is, and so if there were never another
     change, that would be fine with me.

     Art Peterson