Subject: Re: [Leica] 2/50 Summicron R vs. 1.4/50 Nikkor shoot down
From: Duncan Young <dunk@mincom.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 22:41:29 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Alex Hurst wrote:

    < snip >

> Also BTW, do I detect an undercurrent which says roughly:
>
> "Colour neg is for P&S geeks. Big boys use 'chromes or b/w." ;-?

    <snip>

> Maybe I'll keep the comparisons of the 90/2 Summicron R and the 85/1.8
> Nikkor to myself if purist reaction is likely to be 'negative'............

My apologies for my negative reaction, its just that if you let someone else
do your prints, then you have one large uncertainty factor unaccounted for.
Idealy you check the negatives ( or postitives ).

I do think there is a bit of a "Colour neg is for P&S geeks" mentality, mostly
because of the large part of the photographic process which is in the hands of
others.  You can create briliant negatives and minilabs invariably "stuff" them
up.  Pro labs seem to do a much better job, but they cost too much for me.

    Duncan