Subject: Re: Thoughts for Solms on a new M7 [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V2 #160
From: cummer@asiaonline.net (Cummer Family)
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 18:52:55 +0800 (HKT)

Now that we have someone on the list from Leica (yes!), and perhaps someone
from Leica USA as well, could we start a discussion on what we would like to
see in the Leica M 7? On the Rollei Users Group the rep from HP Marketing
(Rollei Distributor) comments from time to time and this is very
informative. I think the M6 Hm or 0.85 is a good start. Yes, I am going to
buy one! I met the Leica Marketing Manager (sorry can't remember his name
and can't find his card) at the Hong Kong Photo and Electronics show several
years ago and he patiently listened to my comments that for eye glass
wearers the 28mm viewfinder in the M6 couldn't be seen entirely - not enough
eye relief. That was one reason that separate 28 mm view finders still have
a market. (This we all know). I went on to say that by the time one had
enough money to buy Leicas you usually needed glasses and Leica should
recognise the market segment made up of "old guys with bad eyes and
purchasing power." With the introduction of the M6 Hm I am glad to see that
they were listening.:>)).
Concerning the yet mythical M7 I would like to see an updated M6 (similar
sized body please) with a shutter running to (at least) 1/4,000 and a flash
sync speed of at least 1/250. Like in a Nikon FA, FE2, FM2. The exposure
system should be centre weighted (spot metering as an option) - as is the
meter on the M6 (which works very well in my experience). Aperture preferred
automatic (like on the CLE) should be available (you set the aperture and
the camera chooses the shutter speed) and manual shutter preferred as well
(as in today's M 6) - not like the CLE where when you turn off "A" the meter
stops working! The flash should also be TTL of course with some ratio
adjustment(like the R 7?).  The clarity of the viewfinder / rangefinder
should remain as good as it is now - with the addition of shutter speeds
indicated in the finder. The best way of doing this without cluttering the
finder I leave to the designers in Solms.  I  don't see any need for auto
focusing or any way to incorporate it usefully. Now that the R8 has been
developed and marketed, hopefully Solms can turn its development team on to
the design of the M7. I am sure many others have their own thoughts as to
what should be incorporated into the next model. Let's share those thoughts
with Solms.
Howard Cummer