Subject: [Leica] weddings/leica- nikon comp.
From: jpphoto@hci.net (John S Payne)
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 23:35:43 -0500 (EST)

Good Evening,
It has been several weeks since I joined this group and I have gained much
knowledge about photography and leica m in particular.  2 areas which I
would like to comment on are the issues of 35mm/leica at weddings.
Photographers have distinct styles, hopefully.  I use 6x6cm for the
posed/group/photos which are more or less standard in most albums, brides
with their paentts, families, etc.  The larger negative enlarged to 8x10 is
IMO greatly superior to 35mm due to the degree of enlargement required.  A
group of 20 people shot from 30 feet with 35mm does not have the apparent
resolution of the same scene shot on 6x6.  On the other hand, a hasselblad
with flash atop will not fit in most limos unless the photographer is a
contortionist.  This is where a 35mm fits in very well.  95% of my
reception photography is done with 35mm, af by the way.  The ability to
focus accurately on a bride and groom in a dimly lit dance floor with a
200mm lense is something 6x6 isn't set up to do.  Both systems have a
distinct place in this specialty.  No one format or method will be correct
in all situations.
On another vein, I did some quick comparisons of a 35 1.4 summilux/35mm1.4
nikkor and a 90mm elmarit/85mm1.4 nikkor around town. Chrome film was used
and the major differences between the glasses was in the color
reproduction.  Leica images were warmer/yellower.  Sharpness at close up
and distant shot were the same under an 8x loupe.  Not a completely
scientific test but a quick, real world, exanimation of what each might do
under the same conditions.
Also, thanks to Harrision for pointing out the differences in latitude of
neg film compared to chrome film.  Not bracketing with chrome film is
asking for reshoots or at the very least not fully exploring your subject.
Thanks,
John Payne