Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Bulk fim loading - Who & Why
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 23:14:21 EST

Marvin, I have been bulkloading films for years. Most of my stuff is done in "
store bought" cassettes, but occasionally I bulkload stuff. Mainly when I can
get strange and weird films from my movielab pals. Thank good for the heavy
use of bl/white in the rock videos. This always ends up benefitting me, 1000's
feet of various movie stocks. Kodaks Super XX, Agfa's now discontinued AP 250
( wonderful, old style bl/white, great midtones, somehow made everybody look
like Marlene Dietrich). I have a very simple system for bulk loading, my
darkroom is really well sealed against stray light, and I grab the end of the
film, pull it out so that I barely can hold it between fully stretched out
arms, cut it off and spool it on to the centerspool and load up. Gives me
between 37-39 exposures per roll. I have made a little device, similar to the
Leica Handwinding stick ( which I use for my Leica cassettes) that holds the
spool and that you just "spin" to spool up the film. The Leica reloadable
cassettes are great, but they require some dexterity to use and with some of
the new film bases, Tech Pan in particularly, it is almost impossible to rip
off the centerspool when you load the developing tank. High risk for sliced
fingertips when you are trying to cut that film with a sharp blade in total
darkness.
 My friends knows of my affection for strange films and I have been given all
kind of emulsions, a russian aerial surveillance film ( you couldn't tell an
outhouse from a tank with that one!!), a chinese positive black/white stock
that still insists on turning out as a negative, several 100 ft of a Kodak
film, designed for shooting computerscreens, the worst case of misnamed film,
a Russian 64 asa black/white named " Chernobyl" !!!! ( it obviously means
black/white in russian, at least thats what I am told) and the aforementioned
moviestocks.
 I shot a lot of tests with the Rapidwinders and go through a lot of film that
way, this experimenting keeps me from getting bored.
 Whenever I try a new film. I try to get at least 100-200 ft of it. It
sometimes takes that long to figure it times and developer combinations. There
is a substantial saving too with bulk loading. I usually load up the whole
supply at one time and try to shoot it fairly quickly. 400 ft of moviestock
gives me about 68-69 rolls and that lasts maybe a month.
 Another factor to take into account is the fact that 100 ft of film in a can
is less bulky than 16-17 rolls of loaded cassettes. My frezeer at the moment
has about 4000 ft of movie stock in it, 2-300 feet of Fuji Presto 100 and 3
cans of 150 ft length of TechPan. That occupies less space than 2 boxes of 50
rolls of TriX. I buy the empty reloadable cassettes. 100 at a time and use
them 5 times and chuck them out. To much chance for scratches after that. The
FILCA style cassettes are great, but requires custom modifications to the
rapidwinders and I have a couple of these for myself, but they are not
"commercially" available. The Leica cassette is also too heavy for large
quantity of film. Imagine going on a trip with 50 or 100 of these!!!
 For travel I rely on my TriX in Kodaks own cassettes, although i would like
to see Kodak supply TriX the same way Ilford supplies its HP5+, in a simple
plastic pouch. The plastic filmcan is a waste of material, I rather have the
foil pack and a corresponding price cut.
 Tom A