Subject: [Leica] Keep M or go R
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 15:21:33 -0500

If I had to pick between M and R,  I would buy R.

With R you have more lens options and you can buy zooms, you can use
macro lenses easily for close-ups, you can see the depth of field, you
can see flare and internal reflections before they appear on film, you
can use telephoto lenses with ease, you can focus anywhere on the
focusing screen and actually follow focus while maintaining
composition.  For me it would be no contest between the two.

However there are a number of unique qualities to M cameras that make
them great as well and nothing else made compares with it system wise.
But for me, it has too many limitations to be my one and only camera
system.  (but then again I use three different 35mm systems based the
needs of the shoot:  M, Canon FD and EOS)

If you have the money, buy both.   If you can only afford one, buy R.
Or thirdly you can do what myself and many others have done, buy some
Ca/Nikon SLR EQ for moments when you need things like:  long lenses,  6
frame a second motors, AF,  zoom and TTL flash and buy M for everything
else.  If I had to buy R equipment, I'd never be able to save up enough
money to buy that Noctilux and 75 Summilux  I want.

That's my opinion, for what it's worth.

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador