Subject: [Leica] Light box user needs dramamine????
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 14:57:20 -0500

John McLeod wrote:

>Dear Doctors of Leica -

>I have had a custom made 19"x25" lightbox for the past few years (5000
Kelvin
>rating) with 2 fluorescent tubes and a (non-electronic)
ballast/transformer
>inside the box.  When I use this thing for more than about 10 minutes
I begin
>to experience a headache and nausea (no, it's not from the poor
quality of my
>slides).  I think the problem is either the flickering of the tubes
(60 Hz) or
>the ELF radiation from the transformer, but I'm not sure which it is.

Hopefully one of the actual eye doctors will respond:

I would wonder if the adjustable diopter of your loupe is set wrong or
perhaps if you need to get your eyes or glasses re-checked for near
focus.  About the time I need an updated prescription,  I get headaches
from staring at the light table as well as shooting.  (My tennis game
slips too)  The other tip is to keep both eyes open while you are
looking through the loupe, (as well as a camera) to reduce eye strain.
On the other hand I suppose you could try to move the transformer
farther away or put a piece of sheet metal over it to help block some
of the EMF.

You wouldn't per chance be living on a boat????

In which case I recommend Dramamine and Tylenol  ; - )

Duane