Subject: Re: [Leica] Great Big puny waves. Don't want to lose any LUGnuts!
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 1998 22:24:06 -0800

>Jim ,

>how vicious the ocean can be in the blink of an eye and on completely
>unsuspecting days or times.
>
>ted

Ted,

Donal started this. After reading his post (thanks Donal), it dawned on me
that there are a lot of folk out there that don't know how dangerous just
standing by the ocean can be. A little knowledge and a watchful eye will go
a long way. As you said, Ted, don't carry more equipment than you can run
with, if you want to photograph at the [ocean] waters edge. Good LUGnuts
are hard to come by. We don't want to lose any!

The two people that I knew that got swept away were visiting foreigners, a
German (my neighbors Uncle, visiting from Germany) and was just standing on
the Santa Cruz cliffs (West Cliff Drive) and watching the waves and water.
And a Vietnamese, recently moved here, was a friend's husband, and was
fishing off of the rocks south of Monterey. In both cases, it was a totally
unexpected (and unrecognized) rogue wave. The problem with a rogue wave is
that before it hits shore, it's just a bump that's larger than normal. If
you have no experience with these things, it can go unrecognized until it's
too late.

Do not let this thread discourage anybody. Just being aware that out of the
ordinary events can happen and paying attention to what you are doing as
well as where you are doing it, will keep you safe.

Jim