Subject: Re: [Leica] Great Big puny waves. Don't want to lose any LUGnuts!
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 00:08:15 -0500

Jim wrote:

<<<<You and your tripod can run. But you won't have time to
gather-up a bunch of stuff. I'm lucky. My wife is my assistant and not only
keeps my stuff in order (ready to run) but keeps watch over the ocean. We
have run, many many times. We haven't lost anything yet as her watchful eye
spots trouble well in advance.>>>>>

Jim ,

how vicious the ocean can be in the blink of an eye and on completely
unsuspecting days or times.

We had several Europeans lost here on Vancouver Island last fall and all
they were doing was standing on the rocky shoreline watching the surf come
in  ______ Fatal attraction #1!!______  Wave watching!  And not knowing you
can be picked off just like a sniper round when you think all is safe.

So pay heed all you Leica folks of what Jim has posted. Any time you're
visiting the coast areas of North America or I suppose any place in the
world keep one eye in the camera and the other watching the water.

This is a little thought I tell photographers about gear and running.

          "Never carry more gear than you can run with!"...........

And we have seen some guys that can hardly walk carrying a huge camera
equipment bag, tripod super tele lenses and there they are right down at
the water's edge and the tide coming in! A rogue wave and they are toast!

A good reminder for all us Leica carrying folks, as it's easy to become
lulled into complacency when shooting at the seaside.

ted