Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V2 #149
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 1998 21:30:46 -0600

At 05:50 PM 2/7/98 -0800, you wrote:

>My youngest daughter is about to graduate with journalism degree
>(writing) and is wondering if she will ever get a job.  Even the LA
>Times is firing staff and then getting the fired staff to write
>freelance for a fraction of the cost.  She has heard they are paying
>$125 average a story, including research.

This is a tough business. But the LA Times is unusual if this is really the
case with them. There are lots of jobs for writers. The big papers are not
the place to start. And graduates who dream they can do it right out of
school are just that, dreaming.

They will end up on bureaus that have no chance of advancement to the main
office. Make a name in the small to medium size papers, and it's much
easier to hit the big time for the big buck later. Starting pay for
reporters at the Oregonian is at or more than $45,000 and the New York
Times is around a grand a week.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

There is a pleasure in being mad in which none but mad men know.

Dryden