Subject: [Leica] Light boxes
From: John_McLeod@designlink.com
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 1998 12:13:02 -0800

Dear Doctors of Leica -

I realize that the following is not a Leica-related question, but anyone with
experience shooting slides and evaluating them on a lightbox with a loupe may
be able to comment or assist.

I have had a custom made 19"x25" lightbox for the past few years (5000 Kelvin
rating) with 2 flourescent tubes and a (non-electronic) ballast/transformer
inside the box.  When I use this thing for more than about 10 minutes I begin
to experience a headache and nausea (no, it's not from the poor quality of my
slides).  I think the problem is either the flickering of the tubes (60 Hz) or
the EMF radiation from the transformer, but I'm not sure which it is.

I welcome comments regarding both "diagnosis" and "cure" (there are high end
boxes from Kaiser/Macbeth/Just with electronic ballasts and with higher
frequency tubes -- in addition I guess I could remove the transformer from the
box and put it on the cord).

Thanks,

John McLeod