Subject: Re: [Leica] Defective Lenses: dumped in USA?
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 98 13:01:19 +0100

On 07-02-1998 23:15 MyersPete@aol.com wrote:

>I am wondering if some of our folks on the Continent are having less problems
>with receiving defective lenses then we are in the USA. Do you think it is
>possible that the questionable lenses are being shipped out to the overseas
>market????? You know, the old 'out of sight, out of mind"?
>(snip)

Pete,

I understand your frustration very well as I had the same experience.
Fortunately, this is over (for now). As you know, I had to send back my
new R8 body as well as two new lenses: Summilux-R 80mm f/1.4 and
Elmarit-R 28mm f/2.8. The lenses had mainly mechanical problems
(focussing ring) and the 80mm had also dust and a hair pressed into the
lens.

For your information, these items were bought new in Belgian, through the
official distributor. So I would not to quickly conclude that Leica
deliberately is shipping defective lenses overseas.

After two to three months wait I eventually got replacement items from
Solms. The only thing I find hard to understand why that had to take so
long. After all, Germany is a neigboring country, and there is a truck
that goes from Brussels to Solms every two weeks to fetch new stuff.
Since I had paid for all items, the sad thing was that I could not use my
investment for such a long period.

BTW: the new replacement items are in perfect condition. I hope Leica
will also make good on you.

However, I can understand your anger and frustration. If I were in your
place, I would also seriously contemplate the prospect of ditching it and
switching to another manufacturer. But you will maybe lose money if you
have other Leica gear and have to sell it and invest again in other brand
like Contax or Nikon.

So give it a last (third) try before you do something you might regret
later on. Best of luck!

Pascal
Belgium

PowerPC G3... listen carefully and you can hear the sound of
              Pentium chips being eaten for breakfast
Sent on a Macintosh PowerBook G3, the fastest laptop on the planet