Subject: Re: [Leica] Defective Lens
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 1998 23:25:59 +0100

>Marc James Small wrote:
>>
>> Most higher-end Leica items aren't in 'sealed' boxes:  they come in boxes
>> which a dealer can open and inspect.

The whole idea of the sealed box is a little strange. In my wild years I
bought new BMW motorcycles which arrived at the dealer in the wooden crate
and the shrimpwrap plastic around it. I was always gratefull that the
dealer unwrapped it, checked it all over, put oil in it and made small
adjustments to make sure the product was in perfect shape before handing it
over.
The crux here is of course the expertise of the dealer. If a Leica box is
opened it could be that some person has test-used the product and returned
it. If the daler will not tell you, that is bad. If the dealer opens the
box himself to ascertain that all is well, what then is the problem. No
reputable dealer will give you a new product that has seen some service as
a demo version without mentioning it. In the Netherlands we have new Leica
products with a red dot, signifying some use at demonstrations or product
shows with a significant lower price. That is OK. It would be false if some
dealer would buy these 'dot'products and sell them as new for the regular
price. If we all are assuming that Leica products last a life time, what
possible tear and wear can lower the life expectancy of the product if some
person handles a Leica for a few minutes.
Erwin