Subject: Re: [Leica] Macro Answer
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 11:51:36 -0800

At 10:47 PM 2/6/98 -0800, you wrote:
>> From: BenTroGa@aol.com
>> To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
>> Subject: Re: [Leica] Macro Question
>> Date: Thursday, February 05, 1998 6:40 AM
>>
>> Frank: For simplicity:  Same size image + same aperture = same depth of
>field.
>> (No matter whether it is a 15mm or 1000mm focal length, if the aperture
>is the
>> same, and the image size is the same, the depth of field is identical.
>Period.
>
>The depth of field calculator at:  http://ue3.ee.nus.sg/DOF.html
>contradicts the above statements. For 35mm film a 50mm f1.4 lens focused at
>100 feet gives a depth of field of 138 feet, a 100mm f1.4 lens focused at
>200 feet gives a depth of field of 110 feet.
>
>Any comments?

It's a well established physical fact, written about in nearly all
photography books, including Ansel Adams' books. The same image size in the
viewfinder, with different lenses, still gives the same DOF. All I can
conclude is that the Java Script (that in itself is suspect) calculation
program has a bug. I would never trust the results of a program, without
rigorously testing that it indeed is doing what it is supposed to do.

IMHO,

Jim