Subject: Re: [Leica] Jazz Photography
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 1998 12:15:34 -0500

Boy there sure is a zillion ways to shoot this Jazz stuff and each in their
own way seems to have had success.

If it were me and even though I posted the trick of using Tmax 3200 and
making small prints and copying. If I were asked to shoot that to-day here
goes:

I'd buy Tmax 3200 fresh as fresh could be...look at the expiry date to make
sure it hasn't been sitting in the shop very long.

Use Tmax developer at whatever Kodak tell you for the 75 degree processing.

Use and R7 or preferably and R8 on spot metering for the band members and
make sure I was reading their faces all the time and let everything else
for exposure fall into it's own place.

Lens choice?  180mm f2 or 280 2.8 and maybe an M6 with Noctilux if I could
work close enough without being in the way of the paying customers.

With a back-up 75mm 1.4.  These would not be the main camera.... the R
cameras would be due to the longer lenses!

There is one thing to keep in mind for much of this kind of photography:
   "KISS" --- keep it simple stupid!

The more you get into all these different things the more confusing it
becomes. If you are usng the R7 or 8 and meter spot through the camera is
the fastest and will accomodate the light levels as they change.

Been there and done it this way with various theatre and stage type
lighting and it works.

just a simple suggestion  Too much information sometimes clouds the
simplist solution!

ted