Subject: [Leica] Motor-Winder R8 arrived!
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 98 11:33:49 +0100

Yesterday, I took delivery of the Motor-Winder for the R8. It has =
serial number 425 and is made in Portugal, altough the packaging box =
says made in Germany.

Quickly tried it out, and here are some first impressions (which =
confirm those already presented on the list):

1=B0 Finish of the Winder is outstanding, it is in perfect harmony =
with the R8 body.

2=B0 Built quality is great: metal like the body. It gives that =
typical "Leica quality" feeling. Downside: it is quite heavy for what =
it really is (extra 270 gram, which brings the total to around one =
kilogram). I do not really understand why it should be that big and =
yet only give room for two miserable 3V 123 type lithium batteries  =
instead of 8 AA-batteries. Compared to my Nikon MD-12 motordrive for =
the FM-FE series, it is only slightly smaller, but weights =
practically the same. A pity.

3=B0 Mounting the unit on the body caused some problem. At first, the =
winder did not forward the film. I had to unmount the winder, and =
noticed the two protruding hooks on the motor transport coupling on =
the winder did not correspond with the small holes for these hooks on =
the body, so film advancement was impossible although the winder was =
mounted correctly. Second time, it worked alright.

4=B0 Adding the extra power-pack (available in Summer) would be a =
major burden in my opinion. The extra weight and volume do not match =
with its capabilities, moreover when this power-pack does not =
eliminatie the batteries of the motor-winder. In fact, the power-pack =
does only provide for film advancement, and does not power the camera =
itself. If you are considering the extra battery horsepower, you =
might as well go for the full-fledged motor-drive which will give you =
about the same volume & weight, but with higer specs (4 frames per =
second) and better handgrip.

5=B0 Speed is rather slow. Like Lucien said, I doubt whether it is =
truly 2 frames per second. More likely to be 1 to 1.5 frames. So if =
you are intending to be using the winder for continuous shots, better =
look elsewhere and wait for the motor-drive. But the winder is great =
for all those "lazy" people (like me :-) ) who want to forget to =
advance the film manually, and be ready at all times to "fire".

6=B0 Great bonus: the winder is very silent! What a difference with =
my previous Nikon MD-12 motordrive (but, of course, this was  a real =
motor at 3.5 frames per second) for the FM. While the Nikon drive =
attracted all attention to you when you were using it, I doubt =
whether will look up to someone using the winder on the R8. So this =
is a good thing.

7=B0 As far as batteries are concerned: the two UCAR 3V 123 type =
lithium batteries I had to purchase (they are not included with the =
winder!) costed me 360 BEF each, this is 9.5 USD. So the winder takes =
for 19 USD worth of batteries. I really hope I will be able to take =
at least 30 films of 36 pictures before they give up. Otherwise, the =
running costs of the winder would be very high and probably much =
higher than the motor-drive. Only experience will tell... :-)

Pascal
Belgium

Sent on a Macintosh PowerBook G3, the fastest laptop on the planet