Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Weddings/ Hasselblad vs M vs AF SLR
From: Emanuel-Temp_Lowi@READERSDIGEST.COM
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 13:36:55 -0500

I worked as an assistant to many wedding photographers for many years,
early in my career. I consider a good wedding shooter, by definition, to be
a top photographer, period. It's a tough job: I've done it a little myself
with decent (but not great) results.
I've shot mine with F5 or other Nikons, and M-cameras, and have always
considered this a very amateurish way to do it. I wouldn't have 35mm for my
own wedding. Nothing to do with the size of enlargements to come. Every top
studio shooter I know uses Hasselblad, RB/RZ67, or even Graflex XL
(remember?) for one main reason: the ease of retouching 6x6 or 6x7
negatives. I realize in the 90s this is becoming a dying art but, for me,
it's the mark of a serious studio. You'd have to be nuts to try retouching
35mm.
Finally, IMHO, the true art of traditional wedding photography lies in the
realm of "human relations", plus the availability of plenty of portable
flash equipment for main and fill lighting! Nowadays, it's true, some
prefer a more photojournalistic style (even in b&w), but this is a recent
development.