Subject: [Leica] RE: Weddings/ Hasselblad vs M vs AF SLR
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 11:20:26 -0500

Andrew Jordan wrote:

>. Question: Is the EOS
>system superior to Nikon with respect to focusing in dim light?

 I don't know, I haven't used Nikon AF.  The EOS doesn't always work
perfectly either.

> Second, if
>the autofocus is a "must" for you why do the "pro" photographers still
>almost exclusively use 500CM and similar MF cameras at weddings?
>Surely, not for focusing ease in action shots on the dance floor.

I have never been to a wedding in the Midwest where anyone used a
medium format camera.  To my knowledge, none of my friends have made an
enlargement from their  wedding bigger than 8x10.   A Hasselblad is
plain overkill for small prints and you end up spending a lot of time
cropping negatives to get the right size final prints.   With 35mm and
zooms, I can shoot everything without the need for future cropping and
the couple can take the negs to any minilab and get prints that look
great. (  I give the prints and negs to the couple and they get to
handle it from there)  Plus I do quite a bit of available work, try
that with a Hasselblad. I can also use lens from 17mm to 200 quickly.
Try that with a Hasselblad or M.  (I had a Hasselblad and sold it to
buy M)  and I can shoot a series of moving subjects.

Some of the most well known wedding photographers use both EOS 35mm and
2 1/4 Hasselblad.   Besides, they get paid big $$$ to shoot weddings
and the clients probably expect that they'll use it.   Also many of the
shots I've seen from the dance floor (in magazines at least) are taken
with a really wide SWC  which is scale focused anyhow.

There are lots of ways to shoot weddings.  If you can get everything
the bride and groom wants using a Viso and DR or an M with 3 lenses.
GO for it.  I know that 40 % of the stuff I shoot could not be done
with an M camera period .  The other 60 % could and I admit that a few
shots probably would improve by using M.   Probably 75% of the stuff
couldn't be done with a Hasselblad.

As much as I like M-cameras I know their limits with the work I do and
I can't stand being limited by a stupid camera or not having the right
lens.   I want to be able to use lenses from 20 to 200 quickly.  I need
 to be able to frame the same shot several ways quickly.    In some
churches I've stood on a pew or a chair to get up higher for the formal
shots.   How in the world can you get the framing perfect in this
instance (without a zoom) without moving the chair or hopping between
pews?  You certainly can't do that quickly and you'll  probably fall or
drop a camera.

Last off, none of you have seen my wedding photographs and I have seen
none of yours.  So let's try not to take things too personally.   I
would far rather sit in the audience with my friends during a wedding
than work it.  I'm not a wedding photographer,  I'm the in-house
photographer who shoots about everything imaginable.  I photograph all
kinds of medical stuff, technical stuff, journalism stuff, advertising
stuff, family portrait stuff, sports stuff, post card and calender
stuff, travel and tourism stuff and have photographed more top
government officials and dignitaries than you can shake a stick at.

I have just seen too many awful wedding photographers  who have no idea
what they're doing, miss certain moments, don't seem to get the right
expressions and don't pay attention to details.  I've  seen people who
might take great stuff of sports or landscapes but can't do weddings.

Let's face it, it's easier to talk about it than to do it.

Duane