Subject: Re: [Leica] NOCTILUX
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 20:27:23 -0600

At 09:19 AM 2/5/98 -0500, you wrote:

>They noted that Leitz was then emphasizing high-contrast, not resolution,
>in their lens designs of that era. I'd love to find a copy of that test
>again - anyone out there? This was probably 1976.

From everyone I've heard about the performance of the Noctilux 1.0, they
say it's low in contrast so it can handle very contrasty light. But...

The New York Leica photography I once owned had the U.S. introduction to
the 1.0 lens. In that, they said they increased the contrast and lowered
the resolution just a tiny bit because they figured that the lens would be
used with high speed films. Thus they tiny loss of resolution would not be
missed, and the significant increase in contrast that such a move would
allow would make pictures "look" sharper because of the increase in
performance in the kind of light the lens was intended for.

So what is it?

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Hex dump: Where witches put used curses...