Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Distortion
From: dannyg1 <dannyg1@IDT.NET>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 14:49:15 +0000

Jacques,

A pinhole photograph, to my mind, produces a distortionless representation of the
world because its focal length changes in relation to the distance any particular
imaged point will travel.

The distance from the pinhole to extreme film edge is farther than the center to film
center pinhole distance and since focal length is a function of distance (the farther a
pinhole is placed, the longer the effective focal length), its projection to a flat field
guarantees seamlessly variable image magnification, from center to edge. I'm
thinking that a dished focal plane would create a fisheye type image, provided that
the dish were made so that all rays met it at equidistant angles.

If that's true, then there is a 'built in' image magnification variable. Then again it
also seems to prove that the distance travelled is the key to variations in
magnification and not lens induced, variable field magnification.

I'm, right now, playing with a 50mm Rollei lens. When its reversed and held so that
my eye focusses on the focal plane, it seems to have more positive power in the center
and less magnification at the edge. That's the opposite of what I was expecting but it
doesn't seem constant in magnification across the image field (as I move my eye
from lens edge to center).

What do you see?

Here's a quote from David Rosen, in a discussion 2 years ago on this subject:

  I believe you are actually discussing the effects
   of oblique projection, whereby the magnification
   increases as you move off-axis.  True teles have
   more oblique projection toward the edges simply
   because they are close to the film than regular
   long focus lenses.  Inverted teles, or retrofocus
   wideangles, being farther from the film than the
   merely widefield [but non-retro] wide lens will
   exhibit less oblique projection effects.  You can
   reasonably think of it as the projected image
   keystoning toward the corners.  This is usually
   noticed as the egghead effect.

   David Rosen  golem@capital.net

Somewhere on this hardrive, I have excerpts from a conversation I had with Harold
Merklinger on the subject. If I find something to-the-point short enough to quote,
I'll post that as well.

Regards,
Danny Gonzalez