Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Distortion
From: "Jacques Bilinski" <jbilin@axionet.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 22:27:33 -0800

> 2) Linear distortion is a direct function of a variation in magnification
> across the image field. A true rectilinear lens has zero variation in
> magnification, and using the usual definitions, a fisheye has 100 percent
> distortion, orthographic or equidistant projection only providing
> variations in midfield.
>
> 3) Optical geometry allows for nothing else.

Danny, intuitively Henning's statements seem to make sense to me. It may be
helpful to think of a complex fully corrected lens as a simple pinhole for
the purposes of understanding distortion. I can see how a fully corrected
telephoto or retrofocus lens could alter the image in the same way that a
slight change in camera position would, but I don't understand how a
different lens design (eg a mirror lens) could alter the perspective. I'm
willing to be convinced otherwise though.