Subject: [Leica] Re: 16mm Hologon
From: Bert Keuken <b.k@wxs.nl>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 20:26:30 +0100

At 20:27 3-2-98 -0800, you wrote:

>Tina,
>I've seen and heard of a few conversions being made available. Here in
>Britain the Rare Camera Company sources them from a mechanic in Vienna. In
>the LHS (UK) magazine there have been references to Japanese mechanics
>providing the conversions too. Having spoken to Malcolm Taylor (an extremely
>well regarded mechanic in Britain) he says that he would relish the
>oppurtunity to convert one as well.

There seem to be several sources, there's a "shop" in Munich (Germany) that
also does conversions. Have seen a converted G-Hologon at the 1996
Photokina and also in a German photography magazine.

>So it seems the job is not impossible and you could probably find your
>favourite repairer is capable of doing what's required. You may even find it
>cheaper than buying one previously converted?
>
>I have only once seen an M conversion advertised which came from the
>original Zeiss Hologon camera, that did seem a waste of a camera but maybe
>it was broken...
>Incedentally, the original version was listed as 15mm, not 16mm, and I
>believe that the true focal length is 16.5mm, very close to the Tamron 17mm
>length, available in Leica R mount with difficulty...

The Contax G-Hologon is indeed 16mm and is a revamped version of the 15mm
original.

Did you know that Contax has stopped producing the G-Hologon? If you want
to have a converted one (and can afford it) hurry!
=========
Bert Keuken