Subject: [Leica] RE: Using Leica ball head on Bogen head
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 9:00:48 -0500

Am I missing something?

Why would you want to mount the Leica large ball head on top of yet
another Bogen head???

You have to be shooting yourself in the foot if you are try to make
fine adjustments with the Bogen head since you've extended the camera
up another 6".   Worse yet, you are adding another 6 inches and another
joint that can only cause some additional instability to the setup.

Is this so nothing non-Leitz touches the camera??????  ; )

In the reference cited below I was referring to Bogen's use of the 3/8"
mount between the tripod head and the tripod legs.  I was making the
assumption he would only be using one head at a time, hence the need
for the 3/8 to 1/4 adapter plate.

Duane

*************
>At 02:53 PM 2/4/98 -0500, Duane Birkey wrote:
>In the case of the Bogen tripods, they use a
>larger screw mount than the Leica ball head so you got to buy an
>adapter piece to use one.

Well, I have both the large and the small ball head and both screw
neatly
into a Bogen 3030 or 3047 head -- these ball heads use the standard
1/4" by
20 tpi thread.  The older ball heads have a reversible camera plate so
they
can be used on 1/4" or 3/8" threaded cameras.

Marc