Subject: Re: [Leica] When/How to Recognize Leica Multi-coating?
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 19:01:59 -0800

Stephen Gandy wrote:

>Is any information available when Leica switched to Multi-coating  and
>on which Lenses?    For instance I remember the old Modern Photography
>test of the then new M4-P.  At that time, some lenses were MC, and some
>were not.
>
>number blocks??
>
>unlike Nikon multi-coating with its distictive green cast, I know of no
>way to recognize Leica Multi-coating.

I believe Leica started multicoating lenses with the introduction of the
Summilux 35 way back in 1961 or so. If not with the introduction, then
shortly thereafter. Anyways, it was their first multicoated lens, although
a simpler procedure than that used by Pentax in the late 60's and
introduced with much beating of the corporate chest.

 - - maybe someone has more definitive information on this??

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com