Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V2 #141
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 20:52:43 -0600

At 06:17 PM 2/4/98 +0100, you wrote:

>The truth is, it is not the average customer who doesn't want AF, it's
>just that the L- guys don't want to let us have it.

It is not the truth. Leica has been experimenting with AF for longer than
almost anyone else. And they, so I'm told, helped Contax develop the AX
(some correfot technology in it I believe). So it's just a matter of time.

If you think Leica is dead, you just don't know what you're saying. They
have the biggest increases in sales over any other manufacturer, except
maybe Contax for 35mm cameras. And in the U.S. they are the third most
popular manufacturer choice by pros. Over Minolta, Pentax, Contax, etc.
That should tell you something. Leica ain't about to die.

AF is still a specialized function. For sports photographers it's a
necessity. For others, it's great. But not that important. Even in sports,
a good photographer can compete nicely against the AF shooters. I like AF.
I like Leica better, and look forward to their AF camera.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

He, who will not reason, is a bigot;
he, who cannot, is a fool;
and he, who dares not, is a slave.

William Drumond, Scottish writer  (1585-1649)