Subject: Re: [Leica] M bodies and innovation
From: Dave Munroe <dmunroe@vcd.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 15:39:12 -0800

>>       For the people like us who actually use M rangefinders, we
>>would like to see the next 25 years of Leica M innovations to amount
>>to more than just a built-in meter of the past 25 years.

> You assume too much. Please do not speak for me.

My wishes for M innovation are more conservative:

	- A larger, easier to grasp shutter speed dial

	- A one-piece wind lever (like on the M2 & M3)
	  without the hinged plastic bit

	- Removal of advertising on the front of the
	  camera ("Leica M6" and the red dot).  In this
	  regard Leica, and most other camera makers, are
	  doing what car manufacturers do: using the body
	  to keep advertising the product after the sale.
	  It was nice to have the script "Leica" only on
	  top plate of the older M's.  The red dot is
	  superfluous and excessive.  One of the attractive
	  things about the Contax G's is that they merely
	  say "Contax" at lower right of the body.

The 0.85 finder was also a good step in the right direction.

- -Dave