Subject: Re: [Leica] LEICA BALL HEAD
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 15:35:10 -0800

At 02:57 PM 2/3/98 +0800, you wrote:
>I believe some of you might have used or using the leica large ball head. I
>would  like  to  hear  from  you  on the usage, whether able to take medium
>format camera, the weight of the ball head, etc. thank you

I have a couple of the large Leica ball heads. I have found them to only be
useful for the fairly light weight M camera. The R camera is too heavy
except for possible use with 50mm down to 19mm lenses. Anything over 50mm
and the 15mm are too heavy and will shake at slow shutter speeds. I always
use a substantial tripod and a large sturdy head. I use Gitzo 346 tripod
and a Gitzo Rational No.2 Pan Tilt head, a Bogen 3224 tripod and an Arca
Swiss B1 ball head, and for travel I carry a Gitzo 1228 carbon tripod and
an Arca Swiss B1 ball head. The 346 Gitzo and R.No.2 pan tilt head by far
gets the most use. A second camera set-up would go on the Bogen. The 1228
Gitzo is for lightweight travel only. It is a very sturdy tripod in it's
own right. George Lepp (http://www.leppphoto.com/) did a comprehensive test
on the carbon tripods and they basically tested as sturdy as the metal
versions.

Bottom line... I no longer use the Leica ball heads as they are simply too
small for general purpose use. IMHO the Arca Swiss B1 and quick release
platform (uses Really Right Stuff and Kirk camera and lens plates) is
probably the best medium size ball head that will handle everything from
any Leica with any lens, up to a 4x5 field camera. This, of course,
includes all MF cameras.

Jim