Subject: Re: [Leica] The New Solms AF
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 15:45:37 -0500 (EST)

Perhaps no camera with a built-in light meter is a "true Leica," maybe no
camera with anything but screwmount lenses, or even no camera without a fixed
lens (i.e., the "original...intent").

The upholding of standards need not amount to a flight from innovation. --Art
Peterson
Art,

I'm not arguing a tautology. I'm arguing for an evolutionary design that
works -- the Leica M. The 35mm SLR is a new design when Exakta pioneered it
during the late 30's. Nikon perfected it. AF is a new design. Minolta and
Nikon perfected it.

A built in meter is an evolutionary innovation. A bayonet mount is an
evolutionary addition. A combined viewfinder-rangefinder is an evolutionary
addition. A horizontal focal plane shutter in a 35mm camera is an
evolutionary addition. A manual fast advance film lever is an evolutionary
addition.

You may ask, what is the difference between a new design and one that is
evolutionary. I can only speak for myself. A new design is indicated by an
abrupt change in technology or concept that produces a distinctly different
product, with its own advantages and disadvantages.

The evolutionary changes effected by Leitz did in no way create a different
Leica. They modified the Leica to improve its performance. The shape of the M
hasn't changed in almost half a century. Leica lenses still use the same
focusing method now as they did in the late '20s. Improvements have occured
in refractive qualities and speed. Only a Leica M could really make use of a
Noctilux because the nature of that lens lends itself to the M format.

The Leica has been true to itself because it serves a specific purpose.
Change it radically, and it no longer can do that. That is to say, no longer
make it, and you will not have it. The radical successor will not replace its
advantages. A niche is still there that will remain unfilled. And we will be
the victim of that loss. Absolute optical and mechanical precision is
intrinsic in that loss. And it will show. We will know.

I'm all for the Solms AF, but it won't be a Leica. It will be an F5. We
already have an F5. Why would we need an imitation?

Bob