Subject: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V2 #141
From: Mike Johnston <70007.3477@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 08:16:35 -0500

>>>I've never used the G2, so I can't give you an opinion about it.
I hope our colleagues who are well acquainted with the G2 and its lenses
would write a comparison opinion. Does it have the timbre of a 50mm f2
Summacron? That's the bottom line.<<<

 Bob,
 The July/August 1998 issue of _PHOTO Techniques_ will feature an article
called "Street Shooting in the Orient: The Contax G2 and the Zen of Small
Cameras." It compares the G2 extensively to the M6 and if all goes well, it
should have two sidebars: one about the history of the G2 lens designs, and the
other pitting the G2's 45/2 in a practical trial directly against three Leica
lenses: the 50/2 Summicron, the 50/1.4 Summilux, and the 50/2.8 Elmar-M. The
test is an objective trial involving 40 rolls of color neg and slide film rated
"blind" by several professional observers at apertures from wide open to f/8.
The author uses both camera systems.

 --Mike (Editor)

>>>Some people dream of supermodels, others of riches. In my Dreams there is
an electronic Japanese made body, with a built-in quiet motor like an EOS
A2, Matrix metering, Selectable Auto-bracketing and great matrix flash, and
a 250th flash sync with a rangefinder as good as the M cameras. The dream
comes here: It has an M mount and all my precious Leica glass fits perfectly.

Go ahead, tell me what a loser I am<<<

 Hi Tom! We miss you over on CompuServe....
 You're not a loser, but your plan has one slight flaw...you mean it has an
_*R*_ mount and all your precious Leica glass fits perfectly. Half the M lenses
have insufficient back focus to use on an SLR, and all of them have the wrong
flange distance.

 --Mike