Subject: Re: Fwd: [Leica] R8 Wonder Winder Whiner
From: Stephen <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 21:29:50 -0800

Ted, you missed the point.   now if you disagree, that is another
matter,  but at least deal with the issue.   And the personal remarks?
really Ted, I thought you were more articulent than that.   I guess it
kind of bothered you for anyone to be honest enough to say "Look, the
emperor has no clothes."

As far as I am concerned, any time you are willing to accept less than
the best from Leica, it is you who got up on the wrong side of the bed.

Leica and Leica lovers like to claim that Leica is the best.

that is all fine and well, as long as they ARE the best and deserve the
praise.

The R8 motor/winder situation is deplorable for any but a third rate
camera company.

A first rate manufacture does not introduce their flagship SLR without a
competitive motor, then a year or so later introduce an outdated winder
to satisfy their loyal customers until their outdated motor can be
introduced.

Your excuses for them, and your willingness to accept less than the best
from a marque which you obviously care a great deal  about, actually
does Leica and other Leica customers a great  dis-service.

By saying the outdated winder and motor are good enough,  you are
sending a message to Solms that gee, mediocrity is OK after all if they
can save a few bucks in engineering and product development.

I doubt if you demand less than the best in your pictures, you are
making a mistake by demanding less than the best from Leica.   Raise
your standards Ted.

Stephen Gandy