Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 Wonder Winder Whiner
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 23:09:02 -0500

Stephen Gandy wrote:

<<<<<Yet, by brilliantly delaying the "Motor/winder's"  introduction by a
year or so,  Leica created a  Motor/winder scarcity. damn, it's one of the
greatest photo cons of all time--and probably the only way they could sell
a 2 fps winder>>>>>>>

Hi Stephen,

Gee sounds like you got a real mad on! :) Did you get out the wrong side of
the bed this morning? :)

We all appreciate your hang tough at this dastardly deal of a 2 fps winder
and you're right. However I think they equate to the fact Leica's "R" are
not used by the majority of sports photgraphers and the winder is really a
lazy man's/woman's way of advancing film.:)

A sort of convenience thing for mostly one eyed photographers. :)  Now
would you deprive an old fella from his winder which I believe will be like
the Prince in Snow White when she sings, "Some day my Prince/winder  will
come!~" :)

Actually I prefer the motor, but alas many more moons till the fall harvest
when motors will be brought forth by the Great Pumpkin as they are hatched
in the pumpkin patch! :)

So even though I'm a <<< R8 gullible are getting excited about a miserable
2 fps winder which equals the blazing winder speed of Nikon's least
inexpensive SLR ever >>>>>> I'm only keeping it long enough till the motor
is available. :)

<<<<Yet, by brilliantly delaying the "Motor/winder's"  introduction by a
year or so,  Leica created a  Motor/winder scarcity.>>>>>

Stephen how could they create a scarcity if they hadn't come out in the
first place?  Steve you really are nicked about this aren't you! :)

So just imagine how the R8 gang feel who expected motors at the same time
they got the camera!  It worked out that, after it finally sunk in to us
that the iceberg punched a hole in the hull, we just threw-up our hands and
started rowing our film manually and creating blisters on the thumb! :)

Ok Stephie, just relax mon ami.:)  We all understand you mean well and that
you're right! Actually when you consider they designed a brand new camera
from the ground up, that they didn't create a higher speed motor at the
same time. They did do a great job with the rest of it, so it does open the
door for a question of "why didn't you build one faster and why didn't you
have it ready at the same time as the camera?"

In the long run it quite probably cost them a number of sales in the
beginning, but once the motors are available, I bet their camera and motor
sales will increase by a major amount.

Again I'll agree with you that, if we do not make them aware that when they
are making improvements, please have all the bits to-gether and ready for
delivery,  before they say "Here you are folks the new and expected super
whiz bang all everything Leica Tiger 88!":)

oh well OK I'll stop. :)  But Stephen you are right! :) Now relax. :)

ted