Subject: Re: [Leica] Give it up?
From: Dennis Painter <dwp@deltanet.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 21:19:10 -0800

Norman Milks wrote:

> Hello Luggers,
>
> After having the vulcanite twice repaired around the hinge post near the
> baseplate on my IIIF, it has fallen off again.  This piece was repaired by 2
> different gents whose names have been mentioned many times on the LUG.  I am
> not doubting their expertise.  Further, yesterday, a small piece fell off from
> around the lens mount as I was installing a beautiful BL finder that I had
> just purchased from a fellow lugger.
<snip>

Norman,

Once vulcanite starts to come loose I don't think there is a good repair
except for cameras that are just for display.

The camera will work fine without the vulcanite, can be repaired and
give good service. The solution is to remove all the vulcanite and
recover the body with leatherette.  There is a kit to do this on the M
cameras, it was discussed on the LUG some months ago.  I don't know
about a kit for the LTM bodies though.

Maybe another LUGer can/has answered this.

Dennis

- --
Experience is a tough teacher. It gives the test before the lesson.
- -unknown