Subject: Re: [Leica] Contax/Zeiss
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 22:53:05 -0500

At 08:08 PM 2/2/98 -0600, Bud Cook, provocative soul, wrote:
>I keep seeing posts that imply that Contax lenses are *Zeiss*.  I wonder
>just how much Zeiss have to do with the lenses used on Contax cameras.  Do
>they simply supply the optical formulae?  Do they also design the mounts?
>Do they supply any physical part of lenses?  Do they simply lend Contax the
>prestige of the Zeiss name?  Are Contax lenses no more Zeiss lenses than
>NASCAR race cars are actually Fords and Chevys?

Bud

Do you seriously expect me to leave THIS flamer alone?

Zeiss designs all Contax SLR and G lenses:  they are designed at Oberkochen
by Zeiss optical designers.  The extreme lenses (wide-angles such as the
Hologn and long telephotos such as the Mirotar) are made in Germany.  Other
lenses are made initially in Germany;  production is shifted to Japan
thereafter.

Many of the older Contax SLR lenses were originally Contarex lenses and
have been produced, as well, for the Rollei QBM cameras;  one, the 15mm
Distagon, began as a Contarex lens and has been produced for the Contax
SLR, Rollei QBM, and Leica SLR systems.

Kyocera is extremely sensitive on this point, as they are concerned that
their domestic market understands that Contax SLR lenses are GERMAN lenses
which simply happen to be made in Japan.  Blake Zeigler is a fine person to
speak with about this;  Allen Nomano -- aka, "Mr Contax" -- is an even
better source.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!