Subject: Re: [Leica] Above AF
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 18:20:32 -0500

Tom Shea wrote:

<<<The AF system is not quite as fast as a Canon 1N or Nikon F5,
but is as accurate.>>>>>>

Tom,

I can only ask on behalf of those who have and do use Canon EOS1n's and
Nikon F5, why would they switch to Leica if the autofocus system isn't
equal to or faster than they are?

I used Leicaflex and motor drives for years and thought I could follow
focus and focus athletes in action very well and very fast! That was until
I had a very rude awakening when I used EOS 1's!  Then I found out just how
slow I was at this sports game of photography!

To even suggest that Leica would or might have a slow assed autofocus
system much like the AX, that couldn't blink images into focus as quick as,
preferably faster than the EOS 1n is tantamount to naivete.

Besides on a world wide count I bet 90% of Leica photographers would say
they don't need autofocus for the type of work they do.  In some cases it's
handy, but not necessary and even in the general news business autofocus
isn't a be all to end all necessity.

I feel if someone requires autofocus then buy extra gear as in the Canon
and use it when you need the quickness. Otherwise plink along with the good
old fashion and sure Leica manual style focus! :)  As I do with my R8 (soon
to have a winder) and R7 motor driven cameras.  And the super high speed
manual human powered M6! :)

ted