Subject: Re: [Leica] Steinheil Culminar
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 10:27:24 -0500

At 11:26 PM 2/1/98 -0500, Steve Hickel wrote:
>Marc,
>
>What do you know about Steiheils and who bought them and why them vice a
>Leica lens and why so inexpensive for such a well built lens?
>
>Also, I tried screwing my e39 hood from my 50mm Elmar collapsible (new) and
>it is the right size but doesn't screw into the threads or what may seem to
>be threads right next to the front element. This slip on hood, what model,
>make, and manufacturer might that be?

There were a gazillion firms selling aftermarket LTM lenses in the '50's.
Steinheil was a respected and ancient German optical firm -- they had
sufficient clout to hire the great Ludwig Bertele away from Zeiss, for
instance, in 1940.  In general, aftermarket LTM lenses were either less
expensive than Leitz's offerings or provided focal lengths and apertures
not available from Wetzlar.  At the time the Culminar was marketed, for
instance, Leitz only offered the 4/90 Elmar and the excruciatingly
expensive 1.5/85 Summarex ($360 in 1954, four times the price of the Elmar)
and 2/90 Summicron ($249 in 1960, three times the price of the Elmar).  The
Culminar sold, I believe, for around $80 at these times.  A few lenses were
available from Carl Zeiss Jena, JSK, and Voigtlander, but these were even
more expensive, in general, than Leitz glass, so the lesser firms, German
and Japanese, entered the fray and did quite well.

For a lens hood, take your lens to the next camera show in your area and go
table to table.  Or contact Harrison & Harrison in California -- they will
sell you a slip-on Series adapter and hood.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!