Subject: Re: R: [Leica] Noctilux
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 1998 22:54:08 -0600

At 10:09 PM 2/1/98 -0500, you wrote:

>photographer, he has one of the greatest reputations as a photographer.
>And it is this reputation that allows museums to display his pedestrian,
>studenty drawings alongside his famous photographs.  Seeing some of the
>crap magazines publish with famous bi-lines attached, I am convinced that
>magazines such as American Photo will publish his test prints if given half
>a chance.

You really can't compare museums to magazines. Sure there are magazines
that print crap, but not the top ones. At least most of the time. A museum
will put up anything, hence the career of Joel Peter Witkin. :-)

American Photo is not a "Top" magazine. It's a slick consumer magazine that
pretends to be sophisticated about photography, but way too often goes with
soft porn and cheesy artsy fartsy stuff. And yes, I subscribe.

I'm talking Life, Epoca, Geo, National Geographic, etc. They have
standards, and if HC-B gives them crap, which he would not do, they would
not publish it. Besides this story came for the editor directly to me. He
would not run crap.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

IRS: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!