Subject: Re: [Leica] Off Topic (slightly)
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 18:21:57 -0600

At 10:11 AM 1/30/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Unfortunately I don't have any way to post photos. (I'd have to dig them
>out of the archive anyway) I don't think that it is really correct to say
>that an R system is superior or that an M system is. It rather depends on

In overall terms, that's true. But for shooting sports, there is no
comparison. SLRs are plain better for that particular subject type than
Rangefinders. Because it's easier to focus SLRs faster on such fast-moving
subjects. Has nothing to do with "vision" or style of the photographer.
It's plain physics. The way focusing is fast when you turn the focusing
ring with SLRs. The whole image shows what's in focus, not just a small
square in the center. You can't focus and recompose when shooting someone
doing a layup. Sports requires you focus with the whole screen. Setting one
distance and letting the subject move into that spot might work for mundane
pedestrian sports photos, but the great sports photographers all shoot as
they follow the action. And focus on the eyes of the athlete as they shoot.

Digital cameras let you see what's outside the frame and that's cool. But
focusing with an SLR works better even when you can't see outside the
frame. And good sports photographers also keep the other eye open to see
what's going on outside the frame. It's a tough thing to learn, but it
helps a lot. A good sports photographer is part psychic, they guess where
the action is going. And live with not seeing what's coming into the frame
for the tradeoff of better,  easier focusing.

>BTW-What is wrong with including half the court in the shot?

Once in a while it's great to show context, but the true nature of good
sports photography is focusing on the action, the emotion, the
relationships and the blood, sweat and tears of it. Photojournalists who
shoot sports shoot more than just the action on the court, but it's that too.

I'm not criticizing you as a lesser photographer because you haven't
covered every sports conceivable for 10 years on an almost daily basis. I'm
sure for what you want, the M6 does the job. But you did ask... :-)

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

You're only young once; you can be immature f'ever