Subject: [Leica] Salt water experiences
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 20:31:13 -0800

> From: Mike Johnston

> Norb Wu doused two of his Canon
> F1s in salt water, so he opened them up and soaked them in a bucket of
fresh
> water and let them dry out for 24 hours. He used those same F1s for years
> afterwards with no further service. Pro cameras are tougher than you
> think--Leica Ms in particular are made to be bullied, not babied. If you
think
> you are tougher than your M6, go ahead, make its day. <gg>

M6's are tough! That trip I took to New Vaalum Monastery near Kodiak last
fall was a great example. I was trying to change film on my M6 in a skiff
on the open Alaska sea sailing from Kodiak to Spruce Island. The camera was
open and upside down in my lap to remove a film. Suddenly a large wave
sprayed over the bow right into my *open* M6!

Father Marterius, the monk driving the boat, checked out everyone, then
asked me if all was OK. "Well. not exactly," I replied as I wiped the
camera as best as I could with a damp rag and put the cover plate back on.
"I could use some fresh water for the camera as soon as possible."

Half an hour later we pulled into the fishing village of Ozinki. Fresh
water, Fr. Marterius told me, was available at "Nick's house", up the wharf
and a hundred yards away on the outskirts of town. With everyone else at
the post office, I walked up a short hill, knocked on the door, and
announced myself as a friend of the Russian Orthodox monks at the other end
of the island. Nick couldn't have been a nicer guy. He provided towels, a
sink and lots of Aleut stories about his homeland as I wiped the camera
down with a wet towel, then patted everything dry.

open window. One turned out to be among the best portraits of the trip.  I
think often of Kodiak, my new friend Nick, and the remote island monastery
where dedicated young monks arise at 3 am to pray  for us all.

But I had barely remembered the M6 saltwater shower until Mike mentioned
Norb Wu's story. Now that I remember, yeh, that M6 is tough - tough enough
for me to assume that a little first aid would see it through and then not
give it another thought. Except for the fond ones right now as I recall how
my baby doesn't need to be babied.

Gary Todoroff