Subject: Re: [Leica] A level of lens protection
From: CapsTeeth@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 10:55:58 EST

With all due respect to Sherry, whom I do respect greatly, a glass-less filter
ring will only absorb shock to the extent that it can deform (like the "crush
zones" designed into automobiles).  Beyond that, the remaining shock will be
transferred to the lens barrel.  About all a filter ring might do is protect
the filter threads of the lens from getting dinged by minor bumps and perhaps
give a tiny bit of extra shielding to very convex, shallow-recessed front
elements.  A lens hood (particularly a plastic one) would be much more
effective.  The same goes for a drop to the ground, except that a quick save
with your foot to break the fall is almost a necessity unless you're on a soft
surface.

However, a lens with no filter glass is still vulnerable to whatever sand,
dust, cinder, grit, etc. that happens to be flying through the air, or acids
and other pollutants adhering to water molecules.  This is what I refer to
when I say I use a filter for lens protection.  With top-quality lenses able
to out-resolve film by a wide margin, I rather play it safe with a $25-50
Schott-glass filter than risk marring the front element or even its coating.
This is true with my Nikon lenses...and that much more so with Leica lenses
whose front elements alone cost more than an entire Nikon lens of similar
length.