Subject: [Leica] R8 and japan
From: thibault collin <tc-lnc@u-picardie.fr>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 14:39:26 +0100

Dale wrote,
>Larry I am a retired Electromagnetics Engineer.  Forty years of
>engineering from the Antarctic to Marcus Island, Pacific Ocean to Great
>Falls, Montana.  Antennas, Space Vehicles, Nuclear Electromagnet Pulse,
>Induced Lightning protection of the 777, propagation, whatever.  And I
>still receive the IEEE electromagnetics publications.  You cannot
>convince me that the Germans are better engineers than the Japanese
>engineers.

It absolutely clear that all the electronics that are stuck in the R8 are
conceived and realized in Japan (or taiwan or Malaysia...). The mechanical
and optical parts of the body are from germany and everything seems to be
assembled in germany. Even the Mercedes and BMW's injection system are from
Japan.
The R8 is a good japanese camera with a nice german price...
Everything is oK with the R8 except the motors and the price...so there's a
good reason to adapt leitz lenses on japanese bodies. And especially SL lens
which are a lot cheaper than the actual R lens, at least in France!