Subject: Re: [Leica] Chance from R to Nikon?
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 21:54:05 -0500

Dale,
I think you pretty much have it. Leica designs a lens and assembles it to a
higher standard, and to greater tolerances. They then charge you up the
wazoo for them, and people will spend money on the because the result of
using lenses made to these tolerances take better and more consistantly
better photos. The Japanese, for the most part, make very good glass, but I
can only assume that they utilize mechanical assembly, and testing with
machines run by people who have little understanding of the actual process.
I think the following anecdote might help explain my ranting here. Last
week, while at the photolab, we got a call from a competitor ( read 'cheaper
dealer' here) and their 'phototech' stated that they were doing reprints
from some negatives we had done, and were trying to make their reprints
match our originals. She said their machine was making the prints too dark
and wanted to know if we had adjusted the negatives or what she could do to
get lighter prints. Honest to God it happened! Our reigning Lab Queen
retained her composure, and simply told the poor thing on the other end of
the line that we weren't familiar with her machine, so we couldn't say!
I think the Elves of Solms Know how to make a superior lens; The Japanese do
too, but, they opt for a large quantity of lower priced lenses, made to
standards lower than we expect, and they are made by folks on an assembly
line who understand too little- only if the dial goes into the red, they're
supposed to chuck the lens.
WHEW, sorry about that!
Hope it explains whatever it is you wanted to know about!
Dan'l
dwpost@msn.com
Gettin' old and not being able to remember stuff is fun; you meet new people
everyday, and they let you hide your own Easter eggs....