Subject: R: [Leica] Noctilux
From: "Guido Ridoli" <guirid@numerica.it>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 23:03:47 +0100

Dan,
it's not easy to drive a Ferrari, but if learn, you can
taste the spirit of the speed...
Noctilux is like this
if you learn to use it, you can find the spirit of
darkness...

       Guido Ridoli
    LEICA M  superfan
    guirid@numerica.it

|Ted,
...  Eyeballing the negatives, I found that there was slight
but
|obvious vignetting at the corners in all my shots which
were taken at f1.0.
| I am told that this vignetting disappears on closing down
the lens
|aperture.  I plan to utilise this characteristic
artistically.
|The prints were enlarged to 8x10.  While sharpness is not
like what one may
|be used to with other leica lenses, yet the shots have a
sort of magical
|aura about it. The images flow and glow. Three dimensional
effects are
|enhanced.  Backgrounds have a pastel-like quality.  It is
difficult to put
|these qualities into words.   They can only be seen to be
appreciated.  I
|am sure this lens will shine when pictures are shot in
colour.
|You are right.  Used at f1.0, the lens has to be focussed
spot on.  Many of
|my shots were not in focus.  Some were blurred by the slow
shutter speed
|and subject movement.  This lens does need a little getting
used to and
|requires a higher level of photo taking discipline to
achieve its full