Subject: [Leica] Battery life (and price) for R8 motor-winder
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 98 21:43:40 +0100

Hello luggers:

I was somewhat concerned with the battery life of the two lithium =
cells in the new R8 motor-winder (type D123A).
Maybe these cells are relatively cheap in the US, as pointed out in =
an earlier message on the subject, but the typical situation is =
different in Europe. Maybe it could just be better and more =
cost-effective to wait for the motor-drive that will use 8 AA =
batteries.

So, I asked the Leica information service in Solms about this matter. =
The Acrobat PDF file on the Leica website says that up to 15 films of =
36 images can be shot with one set of batteries at -20=B0 Celsius. I =
asked how long they would last under more normal circumstances.

Answer:

Unter normalen Testbedingungen bei Raumtemperatur k=F6nnen mit dem =
MOTOR-WINDER R8 im Durchschnitt bis zu 30 Filme =E0 36 mit einem =
Batterie-Satz belichtet werden. Es gibt gro=DFe =
Qualit=E4tsunterschiede bei den Lithium-Batterien, so da=DF es sich =
um Durchschnittswerte handelt, meistens konnten 35 bis 40 Filme =
belichtet werden.
Um die Kosten zu senken wird es das Power-Pack mit eingebautem =
wiederaufladbaren Akku geben. Dieses Power-Pack ist f=FCr Juni/Juli =
98 vorgesehen.
Der MOTOR-DRIVE R8 ist f=FCr die "photokina 98" (September 98), =
geplant. Dieser wird voraussichtlich mit AA-Batterien betrieben =
werden.

Translation:

Under normal test circumstances at room temperature an average of up =
to 30 films of 36 images can be shot with the motor-winder R8. There =
are big differences in quality among different lithium batteries, so =
this figure is really an average. In most cases 35 to 40 films could =
be shot.
To reduce costs we will bring out a Power-Pack with built-in =
rechargeable batteries. This is scheduled for June/July of this year.
The motor-drive R8 is scheduled for the Photokina 98 (September 98). =
It will function with AA batteries.

I am not sure how this works out for you, but at a price of around =
350 BEF a piece for Duracell or UCAR for one lithium type D123A =
battery, this means 700 BEF for let's say 35 films. This comes out at =
a price of 20 BEF for one films, which roughly equals 1 DEM or half a =
dollar per film. I find that rather expensive.

Maybe it could be better to wait for the motor-drive that will =
operate on normal alkaline AA batteries. 8 such batteries would set =
me back at about 400 BEF for a good brand.
Any more film squeezed out of these batteries above 20 would be net =
gain in comparison to the motor-winder. And I take it that the R8 =
does not consume power as the Nikon F5 (for which 8 AA alkaline =
batteries last for 15 films!), so one would have a more =
cost-effective solution with the motor-drive.

Of course, on the other hand, the motor-drive is much bulkier and =
heavier, and who really needs 3.5 frames per second? For my purpose, =
the motor-winder would be perfect: 2 frames per second, slim, =
relatively light and not a burden to carry around.

I am just not sure what to do ...

Pascal
Belgium

Sent on a Macintosh PowerBook G3, the fastest laptop on the planet