Subject: Re: [Leica] Scanner Question
From: Andras Iklody-Szabo <isza@link7.lat.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 16:43:40 -0400

Richard,

the answer in a nutshell is: yes, you normally have to touch up. And you
are right: at present film technology is definitely superior (and cheaper)
at the consumer level.

Before you go nuts trying to correct color, contrast, etc. and never get a
repeatable pattern, you should standardize some of the parameters. First,
you should calibrate your monitor. I am not sure which piece of software
does it for you assuming you have a PC (I am only familiar with Macintosh).
Second, you should color synchronize your equipment. This means, the color
renditions of each and every piece of equipment in the color chain
(monitor, printer, scanner, projector, whatever) are linked through
software, so that they render (translate) color in the best possible way
within their technical limitations. Again, I don't know, which software
does that for PCs.

Once you've done that, you can be fairly sure, that the hardware is set up
in the best possible manner for color reproduction. After that, it's up to
you, to tweak your scans according to your liking. If your scanner driver
permits, try to do as much of the tweaking BEFORE the actual scan, so the
information is INCLUDED in the scan and not taken away (loss of
information) in a second step after the scan.

You'll find some recommendable reading at
 http://www.cyberramp.net/~fulton/scans.html#menu

Regards

>My question:  Is is standard for scanned slide images to need touching up
>(color balance, contrast, etc.) before they can be used for publication?  I
>have checked the white balance of my new scanner and it is fine.
>
>Thanks for your help.  Overall, I am a bit disappointed in the quality of
>the image on a computer screen compared to the original slide shot with a
>Leica.  I can see that film technology is still significantly better than
>consumer quality digital output.
>
>Happy shooting,
>
>Richard
>Richard Clompus, OD